The organisations may benefit from integrating the Privacy Information Management System into their existing Security Management System, which may help them comply with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) standards and improve their data security. ISO/IEC 27701 is an improvement of the ISO 27001 standard.
Before you know how PIMS relates to ISMS, you need to know the meaning of both the global standard and its advantages.
MEANING OF ISO 27701:
It defines the criteria for being a reliable standard of conformity with the Privacy Information Management System (PIMS). It focuses on avoiding data protection threats and privacy risks.
The benefits of ISO 27701 are:
- Strengthen the existing Information Security Management System (ISMS) with the extension of an IMS, as well as controls related to protecting personal information;
- Streamline the management of complex and overlapping privacy laws;
- Establish an evidence-based privacy program that shows compliance with the GDPR through a recognized form of certification.
- Serve as a foundation for potential compliance with the GDPR.
MEANING OF ISO/IEC 27001:
It is regarded as the most required standard for the Information Security Management System (ISMS). risk management and security controls.
The benefits of ISO/IEC 27001 are:
- It identifies all the risks and undertakes corrective actions in order to eliminate them.
- It ensures data security in the organization.
- It improves organizational operations.
- It helps to lower costs for the Organization
- It improves organizational reputation in the market for having robust ISMS.
The relationship between ISO 27701 and ISO/IEC 27001 is set out below:
- Before enjoying the safety benefits and improvements of PIMS, you must first implement the ISMS system.
- ISO 27001 does not comply with PIMS requirements independently, which extends ISO 27701 is important.
- The PIMS is one of several risk management standards, but it specifically gives assurance that organizations comply with GDPR.
- As a follow-up to ISO 27001, PIMS may reduce the risk of privacy and information breaches.
- The relationship between the two makes the implementation of both global standards simple.
HOW TO GET CERTIFIED TO THESE STANDARDS?
If your organizations do not have ISO/IEC 27001 certification, you will first need to ISO 27001 certification or both the certifications ISO 27001 & ISO 27701 at the same timeframe. If you do not require ISMS, you can implement BS 10012:2017 with Appendix A1:2018 because it operates as an independent PIMS without requiring ISO/IEC 27001 as a prior condition.
The important steps to becoming an ISO Certification for your organization are :
- First, you need to choose the type of ISO certification you want to achieve.
- After that, you are required to select a recognized and trusted ISO certification body.
- Then create an application that needs to include all the liabilities, necessary confidential information, and define all access rights.
- The ISO certification body will then review all the documented data related to various policies. If there are any gaps, prepare a corrective plan to eliminate these gaps from your company.
- Then, the ISO certification body will carry out an on-site inspection to audit the changes made in your company as per the existing gaps.
- When the certifying body approves your management system, including your processes, you will be awarded the required ISO standard.